Friday, February 4, 2011

Ripe

The week after we got married, Jeff told me that one of my selling points was that he found out early on that I liked sushi. Yesterday he told me that he should have added "How do you like your bananas?" to the list of important questions that we asked each other while engaged.
"Ripe" for me, means yellow, no brown at all. In fact, the tips of the banana are usually still a little green. These bananas are perfect. If they go beyond this point, they're too sweet, they're mushy, and the ether's over-developed. They are only good for bread.


Jeff likes his bananas thusly. See previous commentary.

We both really like bananas. The problem Jeff has is this: I buy bananas for the family, and then eat them all or give them to the baby before they get to the stage he likes them. Jeff gets maybe two bananas in eight, and I really have to try to not eat those last two. Jeff also really likes banana muffins, so his two bananas usually get muffinified, and then I eat at least a third of those too. So Jeff has had, like, three fresh bananas total since we've been married. And I feel guilty for eating two of the eight bananas I bought today.

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca is mostly right in her description. I do indeed like bananas of the second type. As it happens, however, I would also enjoy the bananas in the first picture. The problem, you see, is that the first picture grossly misrepresents the typical ripeness at which my dear wife eats her bananas. Rather than the pleasantly-uniform yellow depicted in the first image, Rebecca is more than happy to eat bananas so green that a Bonobo wouldn't touch them. Seriously, am I so weird here? Doesn't anyone else think green bananas make their mouth taste mealy and gross? No thanks, I'll take my fruit while its aromatic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll eat my bananas when they're green and still taste a little bit like tree-leaves sprinkled with baby powder. I'll also eat them when they're mostly brown and you can snip a corner and drink it out. Bananas are healthy and inexpensive. Not many fruits are cheaper. If you have an issue with the banana supply running dry before they've satisfactorily run their cycle, you could just double the quantity brought home without taking much of hit financially unless things are really different in the UK. If you like to use a banana hanger, then leave the ones that are aging on the hanger and eat the fresher ones. You could even have two parallel supplies replenished independently of each other: the aging supply is refreshed when only a few bananas remain so that the new ones can begin the aging process. The green supply can be refilled when it's completely exhausted. I think I could put together a flowchart for you to clarify some of the finer points of my model, but it works great in simulation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my bananas best in a smoothie or on top of oatmeal. Or stuffed with melty, gooey marshmallows and chocolate chips! But I like them to be not-so-brown, too. Green tastes better than brown para mi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bananas...yuck! You guys are hilarious. Don't feel guilty Becca,just take Joseph's suggestion and double the banana purchase and tell Jeff if he can't find a rotten banana to eat he can always eat the flowchart! :o) Dad likes his bananas green...just saying...!

    ReplyDelete