Monday, July 6, 2009

The Ecstasy of St. Joseph

The attention of the traveler is fickle. In a world filled with beauty and wonder the mind can’t help but to latch onto a few disparate things and place inordinate importance in them. Thus is born the Aesthetic.

I write to you from the hallowed halls of King’s College, Cambridge; one of the oldest, and most prestigious Universities in all the world. This is a fact I was proud of before embarking on my trip, but it is also one that I have had firmly reinforced in my week-long stay here. Nancy, you can laugh at my pretentiousness if you want to, but if you were here you would understand. There is a lot I can and will say about King’s later, but for now let’s back-up to the beginning.

The trip to Cambridge began with a plane-ride, and that plane-ride began and ended with Joseph. Like most four year olds, time and space were no obstacle to the boy. In blatant disregard for all the laws of physics, Joseph repeatedly proved that he could be in all places at once. I first encountered the lad while he was running up and down the aisles in a sincere attempt to introduce himself to the entirety of the plane's passengers. Graciously, he made sure to hold out his hands so that he could salute every seat he passed. I remember being impressed with the boys courtesy when, upon missing one seat, he dutifully returned to the front of the plane in order to begin again. Sadly, his mother did not find these salutations half so necessary as he. Five minutes later, Joseph’s political imprisonment was over, and his rule in exile had begun. Banishment to one’s seat is perhaps the cruelest punishment that can be laid upon a child, and Joseph was determined to resist this matriarchal tyranny at all costs. As the Captain chimed in over the intercom, his little face brightened and his bulbous, bald head swung to catch every word. All seemed to be going well, until the Captain reached the end of his speech and began again, in Gallic. “WHAT?!” Joseph clamored in utter confusion. Throwing himself across the aisle, he grabbed his father’s arm and pointed vigorously at the loudspeaker. “WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?” Not to be escaped so easily, Joseph’s mother grabbed him by his furiously kicking ankles and dragged him back into the abyss of his economy-class seat. All was darkness.

I must confess to a modicum of human weakness. By this time I had been flying for nearly two days and my mind refused to put off sleep any longer. Reclining my seat a comfortable three inches, I dropped my hat over my eyes and stumbled off into a dreamy reverie. I have never been gifted to remember my dreams, but I suppose I thought of clouds. Majestic, white mountainscapes flitted through my mind as I trailed off into oblivion; drifting effortlessly over vast heights, I soared above the transcendent Aelfheimm, drinking in its canyons and peaks. Gusts of brisk, dusk air caressed my face; rivers of pure aether filled my nose and lungs; I basked in oceans of tranquility. Suddenly, a crash of thunder! Down I fall! Down, down, down. Down, through the bones of that celestial realm and into the heights of another. The sea, in all its fury rushes up to embrace me, and then…wetness. I awake with a start and look down to find a water glass toppled over in my lap, its contents drenching my shirt and trousers. Across the aisle, Joseph laughs uproariously, his arm poised in the air like a newly fired catapult. His mother blushes furiously.

4am approaches, and Joseph determines that silence has plagued our voyage long enough. He sings:

“Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,
Oh what fun it is to ride,
In a one-horse open sleigh,
Hey!

“Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,
Oh what fun it is to ride,
In a one-horse open sleigh,
Hey!

“Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,
Oh what fun it is to ride,
In a one-horse open sleigh,
Hey!...

Twenty minutes later, Joseph’s mother awakes from her slumber and stamps out Joseph’s artistic expression. I don’t know why, but the quaint little ditty stuck with me, and even now resounds in my memory; I cannot help but wonder what grand cadences I might have encountered if only the child had been permitted to continue a little longer. Perhaps it is only my imagination, but I sensed that the lad was on the verge of true greatness.

As the jet crawled into its destination, I sensed a distinct pang of regret amongst my fellow passengers. Though we had entered the machine as utter strangers, this boy had united us in thought and mind. Would it be too grand to say that he gave us a soul? Surely, we felt an energy that had not been there at the time our departure, and I dare say that Joseph felt it too. Perhaps it was this recognition that spurred him to bid his farewells. They were many, each tailored to suit its audience, and each leaving an indelible impression upon its recipient. I wish I could say that I remembered the lads parting words to me, but I cannot. You see, my own feelings were swallowed up in a succeeding moment of pure poetry. I recall it, even now. The gentleman seated in front of me, noble in his bearing, refined in his decorum, turned to receive the child’s parting words. Patiently he waited, staring into the eyes of this pure vessel of wisdom. Joseph’s mouth opened. He spoke. “What are you? A Pig?!” Grasping his hand, Joseph’s mother led him from the plane. The man and I sat there in silence, watching them walk away.

Joseph did not look back.

4 comments:

  1. You are such a nerd! And I love you for it! Meanwhile, pig or not, we are awaiting to hear more about Cambridge & your studies--so DON'T forget!!! Pictures too, please!!! Love you, love the fact that you were on the computer typing this an hour ago! We love your Sweet Becca! Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the post thoroughly. Thanks for taking time to share it. Wow! Cambridge! No, I am more impressed with Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I can't wait for the sequel. Will we find out... Was the guy really a pig?
    And another thing, say the mouths of all the babes were opened... how many of the mothers would respond with "SSSHHHHHH!!!"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about a 6 car pile-up on the radio later. I bet he had something to do with it. And in answer to your second question: all of them.

    ReplyDelete